Obtaining an Additional NJ Teaching Endorsement for Teaching Middle School
Currently, the NJ State Department of Education approves qualified elementary education candidates to receive additional endorsements for teaching in middle school subject areas, which is titled “Elementary teacher with subject matter specialization” (grades 5-8). Candidates who hold NJ elementary or any other subject area teacher certification are eligible for one or more of the four endorsements (English/Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies) based upon completion of the following:
- NJ Elementary or subject area teacher certificate has been issued.
- Passing scores on the appropriate Praxis exam(s) are on file with the NJ Department of Education.
- Completion of 15 credits on an accredited college transcript in the appropriate subject area.
- Complete ONE COURSE in the “characteristics of young adolescents”. Candidates need a specific course in this area, which must appear on a college/university transcript. Four TCNJ courses are approved to fulfill this requirement:
- ELE 201
- ECE 201
- SPE 203
- EPSY 523
- Candidates apply for certification on-line through the Certification Office portal
Please note that additional endorsements are valid only in New Jersey, and are not recognized in any other State, as the credential is not based upon completion of an approved program in the subject area for middle school teaching.
Examples of TCNJ MIDDLE SCHOOL CONTENT COURSES