Please read all directions to the end and then follow the steps below to apply for certification. You may begin this process after program completion or degree conferral dates have been posted on your official transcript.
All certification and credentialing fees are waived for the period beginning July 1, 2023, and ending June 30, 2024 thanks to the new state budget and legislation signed by Governor Phil Murphy.
STEP 1: Complete the TCNJ Certification Online Application
TCNJ’s Certification Office reviews all candidates’ certification materials to ensure they are complete. Our office uses this information to nominate students for licensure. Gather the following materials to be uploaded to the TCNJ Certification Online Application:
- Application for NJ Certification – Please sign and date the application (Question #15). The TCNJ Certification Coordinator will notarize the application for you (Question #16). This application is a PDF that you upload to the online certification application.
- HIB documentation (if applicable)
- Program-specific documentation (e.g., ACTFL)
Submit the documents via the TCNJ Certification Online Application. You will receive an email verification; keep it for future reference.
Please do not complete the Application for NJ Certification or the TCNJ Certification Online Application until you are able to submit all of the required documents at once.
If you are using the Grade Point Average (GPA) and Praxis Flexibility Rule; you can not apply for certification with TCNJ. You need to apply through the New Jersey Educator Certification NJEdCert Portal
The portal with automatically notify the certification office to complete an online Verification of Program Completion(VOPC) for you.
STEP 2: State of New Jersey Application:
Create an account in the New Jersey Educator Certification NJEdCert Portal.
Please review the following information:
- Use the same personal email address you provided on the Application for NJ Certification. TCNJ uses this email address in the nomination process. Notifications and updates from the state will be sent to this email as well.
NOTE: If you recently applied for a substitute credential or other certification on or after May 31, 2022, you’ve already established your NJEdCert account; please check that your email address(username) is the same address used on the Application for NJ Certification submitted in the TCNJ Certification Online Application (Qualtrics form) in Step 1.
NOTE: Do not apply for certification at this time. See step 3.
STEP 3: Wait for an email notification from NJDOE (NJEdCert) that TCNJ has nominated you for licensure
- You will receive an email from NJDOE, subject: Your Teaching Certificate Nomination
- The email will ask you to either create an account or log into the account
- Select Apply Now and proceed as directed by the system.
Timeline and Notes
Only complete the above applications after program completion or degree conferral dates have been posted on your official transcripts (per the NJDOE).
The Certification application process begins when the conferral date is posted on the official transcript. Applications are not processed on the date your certification application was uploaded and/or received. Please do not submit your application via the TCNJ Certification Online Application form until you meet these requirements.