The Certification application process begins based upon the posted conferral date on official transcript. It is not processed on the date your certification application was uploaded and received.
Grade Point Average (GPA)
GPA – All candidates for certification must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 to be recommended for a teaching license by the TCNJ Certification Office.
Basic Skills Requirement
All candidates seeking initial certification must demonstrate basic skills competency BY THE TIME YOU SUBMIT STUDENT TEACHING APPLICATIONS.
To demonstrate satisfaction of the mathematics portion of the requirement, students must meet one of the following scores:
- March 2016 and forward: Math Section score 570 or higher
- Pre-March 2016: Math Section score 540 or higher
- ACT: Math score 23 or higher
- Praxis Core: Math score 150 or higher
To demonstrate satisfaction of the reading/writing portion of the requirement, students must meet one of the following scores:
- March 2016 and forward: EBR Section score 610 or higher OR Reading Test score 30 or higher
- Pre-March 2016: Reading Section score 560 or higher
- ACT: English score 23 or higher
- Praxis Core: Reading score 156 or higher AND Writing score 162 or higher
For students who are taking the Praxis Core exclusively, they would need to take and pass all sections: Math, Reading, and Writing.
Praxis Content Exam for Teaching Scores
All candidates must attempt the Praxis Content Knowledge exam BY THE TIME YOU SUBMIT STUDENT TEACHING APPLICATIONS. All teacher candidates must successfully pass the Praxis exam relevant to their course of study and desired certification area. To register for the Praxis exam, visit https://www.ets.org/praxis/register
To learn about the tests you need specific to your certification area, CLICK HERE
All teacher candidates must successfully submit and complete the edTPA as evidenced by a PASSING numerical score on an official score report.
Beginning September 2019, students will need to achieve the state approved cut score to be eligible for certification.
All teacher candidates must successfully complete the online training or course-embedded training as evidenced by a certificate of completion. Please be advised that the NJPSA Legal One HIB training website has been updated and is now online. CLICK TO REGISTER for Understanding Bullying in Our Schools AND Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights
- Create an account and Register using a provided code – CLICK HERE FOR CODE
- Receive a password, complete the courses, and take the assessments.
“Understanding Bullying in Our Schools” and
“New Jersey Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights v2”
- Save as a PDF the LEGAL ONE Certificate of Completion for each course