**PLEASE NOTE: As Per NJDOE, applications must not be submitted until after the program completion, or degree conferral dates have been posted to official transcripts. Please do not submit your applications to the TCNJ Certification Application Portal, or send your VOPC documents until you meet this requirement.
The Certification application process begins based upon the posted conferral date on official transcript. It is not processed on the date your certification application was uploaded and received.
To check the status of your application, or print your certificate: https://certification.tcnj.edu/printing-certificate/
Grade Point Average (GPA)
GPA – All candidates for certification must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 to be recommended for a teaching license by the TCNJ Certification Office.
Basic Skills Requirements
All candidates seeking initial certification must demonstrate basic skills competency
BY THE TIME YOU SUBMIT STUDENT TEACHING APPLICATIONS.
The NJ Department of Education requires all students entering teacher preparation programs to present documentation demonstrating one of the following:
1) Score a 610 or higher on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing section (or a Reading test score of 30 or higher) AND score a 570 or higher on the Math section of the SAT (can be “super-scored” between multiple tests);
2) A score of 23 or higher on the English section AND a score of 23 or higher on the Math section of the ACT; or
3) passing scores on the reading, writing, and math sections of the Praxis Core.
Students must submit qualifying documentation before formally beginning their education field experiences (typically begun during the junior year).
Praxis Content Exam for Teaching Scores
All candidates must attempt the Praxis Content Knowledge exam BY THE TIME YOU SUBMIT STUDENT TEACHING APPLICATIONS. All teacher candidates must successfully pass the Praxis exam relevant to their course of study and desired certification area. To register for the Praxis exam, visit https://www.ets.org/praxis/register
To learn about the tests you need specific to your certification area, CLICK HERE
All teacher candidates must successfully submit and complete the edTPA as evidenced by a PASSING numerical score on an official score report.
Beginning September 2019, students will need to achieve the state approved cut score to be eligible for certification.
All teacher candidates must successfully complete the online training or course-embedded training as evidenced by a certificate of completion. Please be advised that the NJPSA Legal One HIB training website has been updated and is now online. CLICK TO REGISTER for Understanding Bullying in Our Schools AND Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights.
- Create an account and Register using a provided code – CLICK HERE FOR CODE
- Receive a password, complete the courses, and take the assessments.
“Understanding Bullying in Our Schools” and
“New Jersey Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights v2”
- Save as a PDF the LEGAL ONE Certificate of Completion for each course